See Mr. Peanutbutter Run is the first episode of Season 4 of the Netflix original series BoJack Horseman, and the 37th episode overall. It premiered on September 8, 2017, along with the rest of Season 4.
In 1992, a production studio begins filming the pilot episode for an "Untitled Horsin' Around Knockoff." While the children actors are well received by the audience, the foster father, played by Vincent D'Onofrio isn't.
D'Onofrio refuses to try and act more likable, or as he calls it, "a blank slate" and quits. At the same time, Mr. Peanutbutter walks on set, and his antics are very well received by the audience—causing the director to hire him on the spot.
It then cuts to 2016. Mr. Peanutbutter is trying to get signatures so he can run for Governor, with his ex-wife Katrina as his campaign manager. Diane is now working at Girl Croosh, and Princess Carolyn is still dating her boyfriend Ralph.
Todd's girlfriend Emily breaks up with him, as she wants to have a sexual relationship, and Todd is asexual. However, she gives him a Drone Throne as a present. Todd spends his time on the Drone Throne but loses control when he drops the controller. Princess Carolyn has been feeling ill for a while, believing she might be pregnant, but doesn't tell Ralph about it.
By the end, however, Mr. Peanutbutter fails to get enough signatures to run for Governor but decides to challenge Governor Woodchuck Coodchuck-Berkowitz to ski race for the position. Woodchuck outright refuses, even stating that there is no rule about doing so—but Katrina pulls some strings and arranges for a constitutional amendment to do so. Mr. Peanutbutter trains to ski, at Professor Thistlethorpe's ski academy, as a result.
On the day of the race, Woodchuck is in the lead, while Mr. Peanutbutter is struggling. Princess Carolyn wants to move in with Ralph, revealing that she was pregnant, but had a miscarriage. Ralph isn't upset, however, and decides that they will try for a baby together—brightening Princess Carolyn In a shocking turn of events, Todd crashes his Drone Throne, and ends up winning the race by crossing before Woodchuck making him the new Governor by default.
Todd, however, doesn't want to be Governor and abdicates from the position. With no Governor now, a new election starts with Mr. Peanutbutter challenging Woodchuck for the seat. Now panicked that things are spiraling out of control, Diane tries to call BoJack—as she has been leaving him messages throughout the episode, but only gets a voice message that his voicemail box is full.
|Will Arnett||...||BoJack Horseman|
|Amy Sedaris||...||Princess Carolyn|
|Alison Brie||...||Diane Nguyen|
|Paul F. Tompkins||...||Mr. Peanutbutter|
|Aaron Paul||...||Todd Chavez|
|Diedrich Bader||...||Judah Mannowdog|
|Lake Bell||...||Katrina Peanutbutter|
|Andre Braugher||...||Woodchuck Coodchuck-Berkowitz|
|Kelen Coleman||...||Zoë / Zelda / Woodchuck's Advisor|
|Adam Conover||...||A Ryan Seacrest Type|
|Raúl Esparza||...||Ralph Stilton|
|Keith Olbermann||...||Tom Jumbo-Grumbo|
- This is the first of three episodes that are centered around Mr. Peanutbutter:
- This is the first of three episodes in which BoJack Horseman does not appear physically at all, despite being mentioned many times throughout the episode and being heard once through a voicemail message:
- According to the MSNBSea news crawl, Character Actress Margo Martindale is still lost at sea and presumed dead.
- David Chase (creator of The Sopranos) is shown to be the showrunner of Untitled Horsin’ Around Knockoff, a fact first mentioned in Season 1's Zoës and Zeldas.
- The animation style in the "Katrina's Amendment Adventure" segment is a reference to Schoolhouse Rock.
- Mr. Peanutbutter thinks Earnest is a city in California
- The episode's title is a reference to the infamous "See Spot Run" line from the Dick and Jane book series.
- The shot of BoJack in front of the movie theater is replaced with him standing in front of a kaleidoscope made of other characters' faces. During this part, he subtly changes his clothes from the bathrobe seen in the living room scene to the suit he wears during the party scene.
- During the party scene, the TV now shows Woodchuck's press conference and Katrina is seen standing next to it.