|“||That's too much, man!||”|
—Sarah Lynn's catchphrase as Sabrina on "Horsin' Around"
|“||Suck a dick, dumb shits!||”|
—Sarah Lynn's catchphrase as an adult
Sarah Lynn was a pop star and actress who played the Horse's precocious adoptive youngest daughter Sabrina on the fictional 90s TV show Horsin' Around and a recurring character in the BoJack Horseman series.
Sarah Lynn had light brown hair with bangs that she wore styled over the side of her head and sea-foam green eyes. She had pale skin and light brown freckles on her cheeks and nose, and she wore red lipstick. She had dark circles underneath her eyes. She also had a tattoo on her right arm of a green and blue snake twisted around one another.
She wore a button-down top with blue sleeves and collar, and one side being light purple with white skulls, and the other side having a lavender and white striped pattern. She also wore black jean-shorts and yellow high top sneakers.
In the early part of her singing career, which was in the early 2000s, she wore outfits pop stars like Britney Spears wore at the time. For an interview with A Ryan Seacrest Type, she wore a white crop top, aqua blue low-rise skinny jeans with hot pink thong straps that hung around her hips, and open-toed purple high-heels.
As a child on Horsin' Around, she had shorter hair with bangs and her two front teeth stuck out. She wore a white t-shirt underneath pink overalls with a pink headband and purple jellies with straps.
As a pre-teen, she wore a similar outfit of white t-shirt and cropped pink overalls with a pink headband but her jellies have now been swapped for light purple floral sneakers.
Sarah Lynn, born Sarah Helmulfarb in 1984, was forced by her mother at age three, to be an actress in Horsin' Around. She played Sabrina, The Horse's youngest daughter.
She expressed interest in being an architect but was shut down by her mother, saying "Mommy didn’t do what she did to the Star Search producer so that you could be an architect".
She was home-schooled, which isolated her from kids her age, by her stepfather, who is described to be a bear and a photographer and it is hinted he may have sexually abused her.
She admired and looked up to BoJack as a father figure, although he was rather apathetic towards her.
One day, in between shooting a scene together, BoJack tells Sarah Lynn she is nothing without her fans, if she is good to them they’ll be good to her and no one else will ever understand her or love her as much as them, and she has to give the people what they want, even if it kills her.
On Horsin' Around, her character, Sabrina, was apparently a fan favorite, as in later seasons, after creator Herb Kazzaz was fired, most of the episodes plots involved around her, much to the jealousy of co-star Joelle Clarke.
Following the show's cancellation in 1996, she became a successful pop singer in the early 2000s at age eighteen, with her debut album I Am Sarah Lynn, adopting a more sexualized image while doing so.
At the height of her singing career in 2007, she had her own fragrance with Kevin Kline titled Sarah Lynn's Stank.
However, fame began to take a toll on her, as she became stressed and depressed that the people around her began using her for her fame.
After receiving the show's lowest ratings, Cuddlywhiskers decided they needed a big celebrity to guest star, and Jill Pill recommended Sarah Lynn. BoJack was uneasy about this, as she was at the time “the world's biggest pop star" and he hadn’t spoken to her since Horsin’ Around ended.
Cuddkywhiskers convinced him anyway, even saying BoJack was like a father to her. He goes backstage at one of her concerts with a script and meets her, much to her excitement. She tells him how hard being famous is, and says she’s “this close to falling off the deep-end” and how everyone uses her for her fame.
BoJack ends up revealing he only came to visit her to ask her to be on his show. Sarah Lynn is saddened by this, and tells BoJack to leave it next to a large pile of other scripts she was given. She then sadly asks him to leave.
This incident pushed Sarah Lynn over the edge, as she began her downfall. Her "last few albums tanked" according to her then-boyfriend Andrew Garfield, and in her late twenties she became addicted to drugs and alcohol.
During the events of "BoJack Hates the Troops", she met with Herb Kazzaz, who had rectal cancer. He told her to get sober, and to get his book published when he dies.
After she turned thirty in 2014, people lost interest in her in favor of much younger stars such as fourteen-year-old Sextina Aquafina.
In Prickly-Muffin, BoJack, while at a furniture store with Todd, runs into her and her boyfriend Andrew Garfield. During this encounter, Andrew breaks up with Sarah Lynn, saying that when they started dating she was super popular but now that she's thirty and not popular anymore he's no longer interested.
Sarah Lynn starts having a panic attack, swallows a whole bottle of pills, and stabs herself with a bayonet that Todd was holding. She also defecates on a sofa (BoJack reveals this part to Diane when telling her about it). BoJack then checks Sarah Lynn into rehab.
However, later that day she shows up at BoJack's house after leaving rehab prematurely and patching up her stab wounds with duct tape. She asks BoJack if she could stay with him, and he agrees.
However, Sarah Lynn takes advantage of this, and she throws wild parties while there and trashes BoJack's house. BoJack believes she just needs some love, and the two spend time together at the Santa Monica Pier, which leads to BoJack learning Herb Kazzaz has ass cancer and BoJack giving Sarah Lynn his TV Guide award. The next day, BoJack learns Sarah Lynn sold his award to a pawn shop for drug money and it was purchased by Mr. Peanutbutter.
This leads to BoJack and Sarah Lynn having an argument, which ends with them having sex. She later sets his ottoman on fire, but when BoJack confronts her about it, it ends with the two having sex again.
Diane and Todd convince BoJack to tell Sarah Lynn to move out.
When BoJack tells Sarah Lynn she has to leave and get real help, she accepts, while also saying she feels she's at a place where she doesn't need to grow as a person and can constantly surround herself with sycophants and enablers until she dies tragically young.
In Still Broken, she, and the rest of the Horsin' Around cast attend Herb's funeral. They all meet up in Herb's bedroom after the funeral, but it leads to hostility, especially between Sarah Lynn and Joelle.
They’re all about to part ways when Herb Kazzaz’s blind executor delivers Sarah Lynn a floppy disk due to his last will and testament, that is said to lead to Herb’s gold.
BoJack, Sarah Lynn, Bradley, and Joelle then go on a treasure hunt for Herb's gold to honor his dying wish. They go to Herb's old office and get into his computer which only has an address for a storage locker in it.
At the storage locker, they find a briefcase labeled “Gold,” though it is empty and only has some bear fur inside. Sarah identifies it as bear fur as her stepdad was a bear. Joelle reads a letter from Henry Wrinkler, talking about a novel Herb wrote.
Sarah Lynn then remembers her conversation with Herb the previous year asking her to publish his novel when he dies. They believe Henry Winkler murdered Herb for his book, but when they go back to the funeral Henry reveals he stole the book because it was actually too terrible to publish.
In Old Acquaintance, on New Years Eve 2015, Sarah Lynn, who is driving and painting her toenails on the steering wheel calls BoJack and asks if he’s heard about the Horsin' Around sequel, Ethan Around, that Bradley is trying to get made. BoJack is surprised by this news, and is offended Bradley hadn’t contacted him yet.
He asks if this is just from her being high, and Sarah Lynn reveals she’s eight months sober, although she only did it because she heard when you stop doing drugs for a long time the high when you do them again is incredible. BoJack pleads her to just stay sober, and Sarah Lynn groans and tells him to call her when he’s ready to party. She then is heard crashing her car and BoJack hangs up.
In That's Too Much, Man!, on January 16, 2016, Sarah Lynn, who is happier and calmer, is about to celebrate her ninth month of sobriety when BoJack, who had not been nominated for an Oscar and had hurt/had falling outs with everyone he knew, calls Sarah Lynn and asks her if she wants to party. She immediately accepts and downs a bottle of vodka.
BoJack comes over and they proceed to drink and do drugs as they reminisce and watch old episodes of Horsin' Around. However, BoJack begins to experience blackouts.
After a few blackouts, in which Sarah Lynn ask to go to the planetarium twice, only for BoJack to reject her as he thinks dome-shaped buildings are dumb, and thirty-one hours into their bender, they end up at an AA meeting because Sarah Lynn wants to get her nine-month sobriety chip.
BoJack gets fed up with all the boring stories so he goes up to the podium. He tells them a story about how he visited his friend (Charlotte) and how he tried to sleep with both her and her daughter, Penny, and that he has no idea what happened to the family or the daughter afterward.
He has another blackout and comes to driving a car recklessly. Sarah Lynn tells him that he shut down the AA meeting because he bummed everyone out and that she looked Penny up on Facebook. It appears that Penny is doing fine and she is currently attending college in Oberlin. Sarah Lynn also tells him to try the twelve step program and to make amends to make himself feel better and get a clean slate.
However, these attempts fail due to the both of them being high/drunk. They break into Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter's house and dress up like them after BoJack eats all their food, as Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane watch. BoJack tries to apologize to Todd but ends up apologizing to a little boy who is dressed similarly to Todd.
He tries to apologize to Anna but he keeps blacking out before he can actually hear her reason as to why she doesn’t want to be around him anymore, two weeks after he first tries to hear it. In between this, he tries to apologize to Princess Carolyn by standing outside her apartment building on the roof of his car and screaming that he’s sorry. Princess Carolyn just sighs and goes back inside with her boyfriend Ralph.
After finally hearing Anna's story, has another blackout and wakes up in a car driving to Ohio to make amends with Penny and to see if BoJack messed her up. He demands that they turn the car around but ends up at her school library. They spot Penny using the computer and BoJack says that they should stop following her, although he blacks out again and it’s now later at night, outside of a party Penny is attending.
BoJack says that she seems fine and that maybe he didn't ruin her. He agrees to drive them home after he pees but ends up bumping into a group of guys. They topple over and Penny notices him. She begins to freak out and tells him that he can't be here, and, thinking he came there to find her, she says "I was seventeen, I didn’t know any better!". The people around them start to recognize Sarah Lynn and BoJack and begin to take pictures of them so they leave as a frightened Penny disappears into the crowd.
Back in the car, Sarah Lynn tells BoJack that Penny was probably doing great before they showed up and that they should've just left her alone, to his annoyance. Sarah Lynn asks for a bottle opener and finds one in the glove compartment next to a pack of heroin nicknamed BoJack (which had been discovered by BoJack and Diane back in BoJack Kills.
She tells BoJack that they have to try it, as having a drug named after you is a big deal. He says he doesn't want to shoot heroin. Later, after the two have returned to Sarah Lynn's house in LA, BoJack says, "they can snort heroin like sophisticated adults".
After he snorts some heroin BoJack blacks out again. During his blackout, he has a flashback to Thanksgiving 2007, when he and Cuddywhiskers had a conversation about The BoJack Horseman Show's failing ratings and getting Sarah Lynn to guest star. During this, the surroundings are shaking similarly to a subway car, and they get more violent as the flashback progresses, especially when Cuddlywhiskers tells BoJack he was like a father to Sarah Lynn. BoJack gets up by falls over.
BoJack wakes up. He then has a series of blackouts that transition him and Sarah Lynn to different locations. While this happens, he reminisces on their time together on Horsin' Around and tells Sarah Lynn he feels like she’s the only one who understands him, and they can be friends because they’re the only two people who knew each other before they were famous and they like each other for who they really.
BoJack continues this speech as the scene transitions to the two of them laying on a hotel bed at nighttime. BoJack says they don’t want anything from each other, and he tells Sarah Lynn he loves her. She doesn’t respond and he panicked, but she comes to and complains about being bored.
She turns on the TV and discovers the Oscars are on, to BoJack's surprise as he discovers how long they were on the bender. Sarah Lynn wins the Oscar for "Best Original Song", which makes her overjoyed, but then regretful as she wasn’t there to receive it. She tells BoJack if someone had told her as a kid she’d win an Oscar, she wouldn’t have believed it, but now she has, and she cuts herself off.
Sarah Lynn tells BoJack she doesn’t like anything about herself, and everything about her is fake and "not her." She says even her shirt came from a company who paid her $8,000 to wear it, despite her not needing the money, she just likes that someone still cared about her enough to want her to wear their shirt. BoJack tries to comfort her, but Sarah Lynn begins to panic think she and everyone else is doomed. BoJack calms her down and finally agrees to take her to the planetarium.
The two are then seen in the planetarium (as silhouettes) watching a show. Sarah Lynn is impressed by the dome shape of the building, and she rests her head on BoJack's shoulder and says "I wanna be an architect".
The narrator says their lives are but short flashes in a universe that is billions of years old. BoJack tells Sarah Lynn there’s nothing to worry about, because it doesn’t matter what you did in the last or how you’ll be remembered, all that matter is this moment.
He asks if she agrees, but she doesn’t respond. He nudges her and says her name multiple times, but Sarah Lynn never responds...
Sarah Lynn died on February 28, 2016, from a heroin overdose at the age of thirty-one.
As a troubled thirty year old pop star, Sarah Lynn appeared on the surface to be selfish, reckless, and self-centered, and would act like a bratty teenager.
In the episode Prickly-Muffin, she makes a public scene in a furniture store of stabbing herself with a bayonet and defecating on a sofa, trashed BoJack's home while throwing wild parties, and constantly takes advantage of him.
She was often seen on her phone and was pretty irresponsible in her actions, such as in Prickly-Muffin when she had holes drilled in BoJack’s wall for a "cocaine sex booth” and set his ottoman on fire with no motives whatsoever.
Other appearances show her acting erratically such as constantly be seen taking drugs or heavily drinking in public, such as cocaine, crushing up a bunch of pills and snorting them, or inhaling spray paint fumes with a paper bag, or driving recklessly as she painted her toenails on the steering wheel.
However, Sarah Lynn was lonely and troubled, and was obviously suffering from substance abuse, which came from the loneliness of fame, as as most of the people in her life only wanted to be around her because they wanted something out of her. She was concerned about what people thought of her.
Sarah Lynn was quite intelligent and had a strong passion for being an architect throughout her life which was never achieved due to being trapped in a life of fame and drugs from a young age. Her speech was littered with standard terms a student majoring in architecture would use.
Flashbacks to her childhood and preteen years on the set of Horsin' Around shows she did not have good parental figures, as her mother was a controlling stage parent who forced her into show business and shot down any of her dreams that weren’t related to fame, and her stepfather was a bear and a "photographer", and it is hinted he sexually abused her as Sarah Lynn knows what bear fur tastes like. He home-schooled her, which isolated her from kids her own age, and in the later seasons of the show Joelle openly showed resentment towards her due to her popularity getting her more screen time.
She looked up to BoJack off-screen as a father figure, and flashbacks indicate that Sarah Lynn's self-destructive behavior is in part the result of BoJack, whom she idolized, neglecting and negatively influencing her as a child. At the tender age of 6, BoJack told her "The most important thing is, you've got to give the people what they want. Even if it kills you, even if it empties you out until there's nothing left to empty. No matter what happens, no matter how much it hurts, you don't stop dancing, and you don't stop smiling, and you give those people what they want".
Later, in 2007, BoJack visits her after one of her concerts and she is initially excited, and reveals how stressful her fame is and how everyone around her is only with her to get something out of her. Unfortunately, BoJack reveals that he wanted her to be on his new show, which saddens her and furthers her internal problem of being used, which ultimately sends her over the edge for the next couple of years, turning to destructive behavior just for attention.
She occasionally showed shades of being a kind, intelligent, and thoughtful person. She did care about the people close to her, like BoJack.
Her last words were "I wanna be an architect".
- I Am Sarah Lynn (2002)
- Prickly Muffin
- Unknown Album
- My Hiney Ain’t So Tiny
- BoJack Horseman: The BoJack Horseman Story, Chapter One (cameo, as Sabrina on Horsin Around)
- Prickly-Muffin (official debut)
- Downer Ending
- Later (cameo)
- BoJack Horseman Christmas Special: Sabrina's Christmas Wish (as Sabrina on Horsin Around)
- What Time Is It Right Now (cameo, as Sabrina on Horsin' Around)
- Her birth name was Sarah Helmulfarb before she changed it legally to Sarah Lynn.
- Her birth name Helmulfarb is a garbled up version of Himmelfarb, a generally Ashkenazi Jewish surname, implying that she may have been raised Jewish. She also mentions that she doesn't want her body to be a temple because she's been to Temple and it's boring; using "Temple" in that context implies a Jewish service.
- Sarah Lynn is a parody of former child stars that later developed substance abuse problems or reputations for scandalous or erotic behavior as a result of the toxic entertainment business.
- Examples could include Jodi Sweetin, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus, and Amanda Bynes.
- The Olsen twins and Jodi Sweetin starred in Full House (which Horsin' Around parodies).
- Sarah Lynn's music and, especially, outfits for the Prickly Muffin music video and A Ryan Seacrest Type interview are also strikingly similar to Britney Spears, notably the outfits Spears wore in her video for I'm a Slave 4 U and her performance at the 2001 MTV VMAs.
- BoJack Horseman's composer Jesse Novak stated that the sound of Sarah Lynn's first hit, "Prickly-Muffin", was his "take on early Neptunes production and a sort of stylistic cross between Toxic and Slave 4 U for the time period". Toxic and I'm A Slave 4 U are both sings by Britney Spears.
- In Prickly-Muffin, BoJack attempted to check Sarah Lynn into a Promises rehab center, the same one Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan attended for drug and alcohol abuse.
- An early draft of a script for Prickly-Muffin from BoJack Horseman: The Art Before The Horse notes that Sarah Lynn's videos and image as a teen reflects Christina Aguilera's Dirrty phase, and Sarah Lynn's behavior in the present reflects Miley Cyrus's from around that time.
- Examples could include Jodi Sweetin, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus, and Amanda Bynes.
- Her character on Horsin' Around is a parody of Michelle Tanner from Full House.
- Sarah Lynn's stepfather was a bear. It is heavily implied that she was sexually abused in her youth by her mother's boyfriend as she apparently knew what bear fur tasted like, and mentioned that he was a “photographer”.
- It is likely he is a parody of Terry Richardson, a photographer and alleged rapist. He is even designed to look like him.
- Sarah Lynn's mother emotionally neglected her as a child.
- Sarah Lynn wanted to be an architect growing up, however, her mother forced her to become a child actress. She references this several times during the series.
- In the episode Prickly-Muffin she says she wants to be an architect but her mother criticises her for not wanting to be an actress.
- She is well-versed in technical terminology about architecture, which shows her passion for it.
- In the episode "That's Too Much Man!" she comments on the playground needing parallel joists.
- Right before her death BoJack takes her to the planetarium where she reveals she's interested in the fact the building is a dome.
- Her final words were "I wanna be an architect."
- Sarah Lynn's death was foreshadowed several times throughout the series.
- In Season 1, she predicts that she will die young as a result of her destructive behavior.
- In Season 1, her Prickly Muffin music video takes place in the same planetarium her final moments take place in.
- In Season 2, at Herb's funeral, the cast of Horsin' Around joke about which of them will die next. In this same exchange, she is the only one that doesn't predict that BoJack will die next, instead stating that she's, "so high I don't know where I am," foreshadowing her drug-related death.
- In That's Too Much, Man!, Sarah has a parody of the painting "Ophelia" in her bedroom, which depicts a woman drowning in a lake. Later in the same episode, BoJack sees that Sarah is passed out during their bender and attempts to wake her, fearing she's died.
- Sarah Lynn won an Academy Award for Best Original Song titled The Silly Banana Song (Love Theme) from the film, The Nazi Who Played Yahtzee.
- She overdosed on a strain of Heroin called "BoJack".
- She did not care much for Bradley Hitler-Smith or Joelle Clarke, her Horsin' Around co-stars.
- They resented her a bit for getting the most attention from the audience and her arrogant attitude against them.
- In flashbacks, they were also seen mostly ignoring a young Sarah Lynn when she wanted to spend time with them off set.
- Her musical career was foreshadowed when she got acclaim on Person magazine for her singing (during the Horsin' Around era.)