Jose is a brown adult male grizzly bear with thick black eyebrows and a lighter brown snout.
He is the tallest of Hollyhock's eight dads. According to the model sheets, he is about 7 ft tall. This makes him a few inches taller than BoJack, who is about 6'6".
He wears a black and red plaid flannel shirt that is unbuttoned with a black shirt underneath, dark grey jeans with holes in the knees, and dark brown work boots.
Not much is known about Jose. He, like the other dads, is very protective of Hollyhock and is a loving father.
He seems to be one of the more quick-tempered and aggressive fathers, like Quackers or Steve, when it comes to keeping BoJack away from Hollyhock for her own safety. Jose also becomes defensive and cuts BoJack off when BoJack tries to explain himself at their home.
He is presumably Spanish or Latino and speaks with an accent.
He and the other dads sometimes communicate in a "Dad Speak" with the intention that people outside of the relationship (including Hollyhock) wouldn't be able to understand it.
However, unbeknownst to the dads, Hollyhock understands what they're saying perfectly well.
They live in Wichita, Kansas.
Jose and the other dads are mentioned numerous times throughout Season 4 by Hollyhock.
They make their first appearance in Lovin that cali lifestyle!!, when they travel to L.A. after Hollyhock accidentally overdoses on amphetamines (later found out to be caused by Beatrice putting weight loss supplements in Hollyhock's coffee).
They blame BoJack and refuse to let him see Hollyhock ever again.
In What Time Is It Right Now, BoJack travels to their home in Wichita, Kansas. After begging them to hear him out, he explains how he discovered he isn’t actually Hollyhock’s biological father—his father Butterscotch is.
He also found out Hollyhock's mother is his family's former maid, Henrietta Platchkey, and he wanted to give Hollyhock her phone number.
They agree to tell her, but still tell BoJack to leave.
The dads seem to have allowed Hollyhock and BoJack to talk again, as Hollyhock and BoJack continue to have a distant sibling relationship afterward. Hollyhock even visits him in Ancient History.
In Intermediate Scene Study w/ BoJack Horseman, Hollyhock mentions three of her fathers were disappointed that she quit when she quit rugby, while the other five were relieved to hear she quit the team.
- Jose is a bear and speaks English, unlike Tina Bear who speaks only in growls.
- Jose being a gay bear is a play on the actual term “gay bear," which refers to a gay man who is masculine, large, and hairy.
- He and his adopted daughter Hollyhock both wear dark grey jeans with holes in the knees.
- He, Cupe, and Otto speak with accents.
- The Language (or "Dads Speak") of Hollyhock's fathers actually consists of adding "ittag" after every first letter in a word (i.e. "What do you guys think?", becomes "wittaghat dittago yittagou gittaguys tittaghink?") the language also doesn't seem to use the word "Is."